FA Level 1 – DIAMONDS SHOOTING GAME Progression 1
Posted by Mike Trusson on 23 October, 2010
This progression follows on from ““DIAMONDS SHOOTING GAME”” – START OF THE PRACTICE
“DIAMONDS SHOOTING GAME” – PROGRESSION 1
- Organise an area of approximately 40 yards x 20 yards, with a goal in the middle and one goalkeeper in the goal. The goalkeeper should look to save shots from both directions
- Lay out a shooting line approximately 6 yards from either side of the goal. The players must shoot before this line
- Position two strikers either side of the goal. They must stay in the area either side of the goal and should look to be creative and take on shooting opportunities.
- Position 2 – 4 fielders on either side of the goal and around the outside of the area. Their job is to field any shots that go through the goal or miss the goal.
- After one of the fielders has received the ball, they should set it to a supporting fielder who then passes the ball back into the strikers on their side of the goal. If a shot goes through the goal or misses the goal, the strikers on the other side of the goal must leave the ball to go through to the fielders.
- Position a second goalkeeper 10 yards to the side of the goal, with a supply of footballs. They can rotate with the goalkeeper in goal. Their job is also to distribute the ball, by throwing to any of the fielders if a ball goes out of play.
- Supply of balls, bibs and maker discs
- Fielders must pass to another fielder before ball is played into the strikers
- Strikers restricted to a maximum of 2 touches, except where they have to finish first time
COMPETITION – Each pair of strikers must score a goal with the following:
1. First time shot
2. Turn and shot
3. Ball pulled back from one striker to the second – first time finish
4. Through pass from one striker to the second – first time finish
5. Give and go between strikers
The winning pair are the ones that complete all 5 scoring examples in the fewest shots. Rebounds from the goalkeeper count as a goal.
COACH TO ENCOURAGE
- Fielders to support the fielder on the ball. Good angle and distance
- Reaction from the strikers to find space and receive the ball from the fielders
- Communication between players, both verbally and with hand gestures
- Positive, accurate passing
- Strikers to be creative and be aware of the finishing requirements of the competition
- Head up to assess goalkeepers position
- Appropriate close range finishing techniques – more accuracy, less power
- Rebounds from the goalkeeper:
Download PDF DIAMONDS SHOOTING GAME Progression 1
Watch the Video