Drill: Forwards combination play
To develop forward combination play and clever movement from passes from wide areas
- Use half a pitch
- Full size goal
- Cone for central server 30 meters from goal.
- Cones for wide players 10 meters in from touch line and 30 meters out.
- At least 3 players start in wide position.
- Cones for forwards starting position on edge of penalty area D.
- Supply of balls on central cone
Ball is served from a central server to a wide player. Wide player receives the ball with an open body and controls the ball into space. Wide player passes a quality pass into one of the forwards. Forwards demonstrate good, well timed movement to combine to finish. Wide players take forwards role and repeat.
- Accurate passing
- Wide players check and receive the ball with an open body position
- Control out of feet
- Forwards sharp, well timed movement
- Forwards to see each other
- Good communication
- Accurate finish
- Follow up for rebounds
Encourage the forwards to use their imagination to combine to finish. Rotate players after shot. Coach controls when new attacks start
- Player to line up on angle for ball to bypass first forward and second forward to set it for first forward who has spun to receive
- Forwards do a take over
- First forward flicks inside for second forward to run onto
- Play a 1 - 2
Logged in as
Improve side foot shooting 1 V 1
To improve accurate side foot finishing when 1 v 1 with the goalkeeper
Tight control and quick shot
To improve quick control and shooting around the edge of the area
Quick reaction and first to ball shoots
To improve quick reactions and fast shooting in the penalty area
Shearer cross UEFA 96
A drill to demonstrate how an attack is built through midfield to a wide area. It then demonstrates how wide play is developed and highlights good examples of near and far post runs to attack a cross
Forward runs for near post crosses
To improve a forwards ability to make clever, well timed and positive runs to the near post for crosses.