Drill: Technique of deflecting saves to safety
To improve the goalkeepers technique of deflecting shots to safety, away from the goal and oncoming forwards
- Area 30 x 10 meters
- 1 x full size goal
- 2 x forwards
- Supply of balls
Two forwards pass the ball between them, goalkeeper adjusts position as ball moves. One forward makes a decision to shoot at goal. Forwards are asked to shoot to the side of the goalkeepers to encourage deflected saves. First objective is for the goalkeeper to save the ball and catch it if they can. Failing that goalkeepers must ensure that they save the shot by deflecting it to safety, away from the goal and any forwards following up.
- GK in good start position in line with ball and in the middle of the goal
- If GK needs to move sideways, should use side Ã¢â‚¬â€œ skip technique (feet brush the ground) to move side ways
- Close the ball down when there is no chance of a shot coming in
- Close down in relation to where the ball is Ã¢â‚¬â€œ not too close to get chipped, not too far away as to make the goal bigger
- Get in shot stopping position and be big, balanced and still when ball is shot
- Push off with power for dive coming from the leg nearest the ball
- Early decision on whether to catch the ball or deflect to safety with open and hard hand
- Deflect away from goal and forwards following up
- Get to feet quickly after shot
Place 3 forwards about 15 meters apart and 20 meters away from the goal. Forwards pass the ball between them and across the front of the goal. Goalkeeper must adjust sideways as the ball is passed, constantly checking their angles. Coach calls out to one of the forwards "shoot" Forward must control the ball out of their feet and look to shoot. Goalkeeper must close the ball down, adopting the correct angle and distance. Improves the goalkeepers understanding of sideways feet movement, checking new angles and distances from their goal and closing the ball down.
Logged in as
To develop a goalkeepers communication and positioning skills in a functional exercise and in relation to the defenders position and the position of the ball.
Improve long throwing and taking crosses
To improve the technique of long accurate throws and the start position, timing of jumping and technique of catching the ball. The goalkeeper should look to distribute accurately and quickly in the opposite direction of the cross.
Battle of goalkeepers
To improve goalkeepers throwing technique and handling
Fast feet 6 yard box drill
To improve a goalkeepers movement and balance
Forming the K Barrier
To improve the technique of a goalkeeper using the K barrier for low shots.
Goalkeeper home page
Introduction to the goalkeeping section
Drill to develop GK speed and agility
Goalkeepers need quick feet and agility. Fun drill to develop these skills
GK position ball 30 meters central
Demonstrates to position GK should adopt when ball is central 30 meters from goal
GK position ball central and 45 meters from goal
GK and back position when ball is central 45 meters from goal
GK position ball wide and 30 meters from goal
Start position for GK when ball is wide 30 meters away