- Pitch area 40 x 20 meters
- Target area 10 x 10 meters
- Play 3 v 3 on the pitch and target players in the target area
- Supply of balls dotted around the pitch and near target players, who act as servers when the ball goes out of play
- Defenders play man on man with attackers
- Defenders to close the ball down whenever the ball is passed to their players
- Get tight - get their head down - and try and stop the ball being passed into target player
- Concentrate and stay with runners
- Keep low when closing down
- Good communication between defenders
- Mark tightly
This is a very hard interval endurance drill. Make sure there are plenty of ball near the target players to ensure the intensity of the drill. Vary the time the players play in the drill and the number of times they repeat it, depending on age and fitness levels. Have at least three teams, preferably four, so they can rotate.
- To make this game a real fitness work out for the defending team, have 3 or 4 rotating teams of 3 players and goalkeepers as the target players.
- Goalkeepers can use their hands to catch the ball.
- Ensure there is a supply of ball around the pitch and near the goalkeepers target area.
- Each defending team stays on the pitch for a given period - 2 or 3 minutes.
- Every time the ball goes out, it is returned quickly so the pressure is always on the defenders.
- Rotate attacking and defending team regularly