Drill: Using finishing skills to improve fitness
A speed, power and finishing drill that uses a range of finishing skills. Running with the ball to finish, turning and shooting, finishing from crosses to improve speed and power, whilst needing to maintain concentration and technique
- Area half a pitch
- Full size goal with goalkeeper
- Start cone for server 50 meters from goal
- 2 cones 10 meters apart 40 meters from goal.
- Player on one of the cones 2 cones - gate - 2 meters apart 25 meters from goal level with edge of the 6 yard box
- Players with balls on cone 40 meters from goal and 15 meters in from touch line, same side of the pitch as gate cones
- Players with ball on cone on opposite side of the pitch 10 meters in from touch line and level with the 18 yard box
- Supply of balls
Team competition. Award 1 point for shot on target, 3 points for a goal. Player checks to receive the ball from server, plays ball back and times a run to receive a return pass and stay onside. Player runs quickly with ball and finishes. After shot player checks quickly to receive the ball from a wide server, they turn inside the cones and shoot. After shot they quickly check back through the cones to attack a cross from opposite wide server. Player then sprints back to halfway line to repeat the exercise for a fitness work out. Player from the next team then goes.
- Set ball back and bend and time run to stay onside
- Accurate pass for run
- Run quickly with the ball - head up
- Compose, head up, assess GK position
- Accurate finish
- Check quickly back through the gate to receive firm pass
- Roll turn inside
- Assess GK position
- Accurate finish
- Check turn and quickly back through gate
- Fast timed run to meet cross
- Hit target with finish
- After shot - sprint back to halfway line and back of group
- For a harder fitness work out, use a small group of midfield players - 3, 4 or 5.
- This ensures the players don't have such a long rest period between shots and the drill becomes a hard fitness work out as well as a speed and power drill.
Logged in as
Clock Coaching. Pressure the ball
Fitness exercise to pressure and close the ball down in pairs. Develops quick sharp movement while under pressure
Develop aggressive sprinting with the ball
Improves fast running with the ball over longer distances. Players have to get their heads up and show composure and awareness to avoid other players.
Pressurised control, pass and sprint drill
Pressurised drill to improve sprinting speed, quick feet to move to control the ball and the ability to maintain a good control and pass technique when fatigued and under pressure
Pressured control turn and sprint drill
Exercise designed to test a players control and turning and sprinting speed while under pressure
High energy running with ball game
Competitive, fun game which involves turning and sprinting, quick turning and running with the ball and accurate shooting