The example shown demonstrates the position of the goalkeeper, in relation to their defenders when the ball is in a wide area and approximately 25 meters from goal
To demonstrate how the goalkeeper adopts a position so that they are not beaten by a long cross shot, but can deal with any ball played behind the defence (as shown by the yellow box)
- Half pitch
- GK, back four and two defending midfield players.
- Six attacking players
- Ball is moved to various areas across the pitch, particularly into wide positions, but the same distance from goal and GK has to adjust their position to be in the correct position in relation to the ball and the defenders.
- Good communication is vital
- Initially roll the ball slowly so goalkeeper can get used to adjusting their position. Gradually increase speed and develop into a functional practice
- Good communication
- Good start position in relation to where the ball is and position of defenders
- Move backwards, forwards and side to side with defenders