26 Aug 2015
10 compelling reasons why Chelsea want to sign Everton’s John Stones, even for over £30 million? Watch the video evidence why.
His Manager, Roberto Martinez calls him “one of the best ball-playing centre-halves in Europe. But is he the answer for Chelsea? Let’s look at the evidence and facts.
- He is English, still only 21 and would help Chelsea meet the required Premier League quota of home-grown players.
- Offers good defensive options, both immediately and for the long term. He can play centre half and right back – John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic!
- Very good pedigree. Played over 50 Premier League games and has 4 England caps. Played in the Europa league.
- Good size, 6.2 an athlete with good pace. Has strength, determination and character.
- He is a very good defender. Reads the game well defensively, makes good decisions and takes good marking and covering positions.
- Has a good leap, is athletic and attacks the ball in the air. Both in his own box and in the opposition area.
- Is quick to pressure, tenacious but patient and can deal with 1 v 1 situations comfortably
- He wants the ball, is composed and comfortable on it and can play out from the back.
- Can pass accurately into midfield and build attacks from the back and through the midfield third.
- Has a very good long, accurate pass, so offers the option for Chelsea of going from back to front and switching play to quickly release Costa, Pedro and Hazard in space.