18 Mar 2016
Switching the point of attack to create dribbling opportunities
Dribbling situations don’t just happen in a game, they have to be created. Use this multi goal, conditioned game to develop and improve passing, support, create space and game related dribbling situations.
The game will create 1 v 1, 2 v 1 and 2 v 2 game related dribbling opportunities. The game will also encourage players to react quickly, both from an attacking and defending perspective.
- Play 1 v 1 in 3 zones with goals at each end of all the zones. These players are conditioned to stay in their zones
- Two play makers for each team. The player makers can move and play in any of the zones.
- Supply of footballs with the coach / server.
- The size of the zones and the goals can be adjusted to suit the age and ability of the players, but suggest goals that are 3 – 4 yards wide and zones 25 x 10 yards.
- If the ball goes out of play the coach / server immediately passes a ball quickly onto the pitch to one of the play makers and a new game begins.
- Ball is served from the coach / server to one of the play makers and the game begins.
- Play maker on the ball decides how and where they want to attack
- Attacking team try and score
- Play makers to make runs to support the ball and to help out defensively
- As the ball is passed from zone to zone, play makers have to adjust and react.
- If ball is lost, team who win the ball try and counter attack.
- If ball goes out of play, coach / server immediately passes a ball quickly onto the pitch to one of the play makers and a new game begins.
- Play lots of games over periods of agreed time and see which team can score the most goals.
- Play first team to score set number of goals
- Rotate the play makers often with other players.
- Make the zones bigger and play 2 v 2 in each zone. Play makers are still the only ones who can move from zone to zone.
- Make one, two or three goals full size and play with GK’s (depending on numbers and GK’s available)
- Accurate quick passing
- Good communication between players
- Try and create and exploit 1 v 1 attacking situations
- Try and create and exploit quick 2 v 1 attacking situations
- Players in the zones who are playing in the team that have possession to work hard to find space to receive the ball and try and receive it in an open position so that they immediately are faced up to the opposition defender and in a position to dribble.
- Positive attitude to dribbling. Can they take the opposition player on and beat them with a combination of trickery, changes of pace and quick, controlled changes of direction?
- React defensively to restrict 2 v 1 attacking situations, work hard to make it 2 v 2
- Counter attack quickly if ball is won
- Switch play quickly to try and create and exploit 1 v 1 and 2 v 1 attacking situations