02 Nov 2012
Planning – FA Level 2 Coaching Session – Part 4
In this article, I will show you how to plan an FA Level 2 football training session on the topic of ‘Improving the Technique of Creating Space’. The information in this blog covers progression 3, ‘creating space for other players’. This is the fourth article in a series of six designed to help you pass the FA Level 2 course. To get all the information, why not follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and watch some of our great videos on YouTube.
Progressing This FA Level 2 Session
Following on from the previous blog, I now plan to progress the session by planning on helping players to create space for other players.
The Technique Of Creating Space – Progression 3 – Creating Space For Other Players
Creating space isn’t just an individual technique to receive the ball. Sometimes, players need to think about their movement to create space for other players. In this progression, I am looking to plan and coach situations where I can influence the players’ performance in relation to creating space for other players.
- Focus on players creating space for other players.
- Players to make runs where they might create space for themselves, but to also to clear space for other team mates to exploit.
- Recognition of player making run and other players to make runs into the space created.
- Player on the ball to have their head up and recognise the space created and make the best passing decision.
- Timing and angle of runs.
- Cross over runs and rotational movement.
- Communication between players.
- For players to think about movement and to create space that is “one step ahead”. For them to think about and try to be where the ball is going to be, not where the ball currently is.
For a more in depth look at this FA Level 2 progression, follow this link.
As I have said before, it is impossible to coach all of this FA Level 2 module at once and expect the players to take on board all of the information, so plan to coach in a logical, progressive order and to give the players bite-size pieces of information that they can take on board without being swamped with new information.
Remember the KISS formula when coaching – Keep It Simple Stupid
Grassrootscoaching.com have now made the coaches chalkboard available for FREE. It’s an online design tool that very simply helps you plan your practical FA Level 2, FA Level 2, and UEFA B football coaching sessions. To register click here. Or learn more about what the coaches chalkboard can offer you.