17 Dec 2018
Soccer Drills to improve dribbling
When I was a young kid in London, the first professional game I ever saw was Fulham v Man Utd at Craven cottage. In those days the kids got passed down to the front of the crowd and I ended up pressed against the perimeter fence, literally a yard from the pitch. That was the first time I fell in love. The object of my love, was a skinny lad playing for Man Utd, he had unbelievable dribbling skills. could turn on a sixpence, beat players for fun. Stop in a second and then accelerate like a Ferrari. He was the best dribbler I have ever seen. His name – George Best.
Now, I can’t promise that the Soccer Drills we have on Grassrootscoaching.com can help you coach your players to be George Best. But, these football drills on dribbling will help your players to be brave and to understand, learn and practice the key coaching factors of dribbling.
Key Coaching Tips for Dribbling
- Create space to receive the ball out of the feet
- Receive the ball so that the player is facing the direction they want to dribble
- Ball in front, close and get the head up to assess options
- Ball manipulation, using different parts of the foot to manipulate the ball quickly and under control in different directions
- Developing changes of pace, slow, slow, quick, quick
- Develop and use tricks, step overs etc, to unbalance defenders
- Change of pace and direction after the trick to exploit space created
- Ball under control and close, with the head up
- Positive end result after the dribble, to shoot, pass, cross etc
PREVIEW GRASSROOTSCOACHING.COM PREMIUM CONTENT