19 Jul 2016
UEFA B Functional game – Develop and improve attacking central play
This UEFA B Functional game is from the series of functional games, designed to isolate and improve units within the team. In this functional game we focus on developing and improving attacking central play.
The nature of the functional game means that there will essentially be lots of attack v defence situations created, which will give the attacking team lots of opportunities to work on, practice and improve their attacking central play
The objective of this functional game: How can we get players to take up positive attacking positions and to create and exploit space that enable us to effectively attack centrally?
- Suggested pitch size is full width to 10 – 20 yards over the halfway line
- Full sized goal with GK
- Play a suggested defensive team of 2 centre halves, 2 fullbacks and a holding M/F players against an attacking team of 2 central forwards, 2 wide players and an attacking midfield player – Attack v Defence 5 v 5. This can be scaled up to two attacking midfield players v two defending midfield players, then progressed to two attacking fullbacks joining in and two defending wide players.
- There is also a conditioned attacking support player, who joins in the attacks, but can only support behind the ball and can’t shoot.
- Target / server player, with a supply of footballs
- 2 x target goals for the defence to break out and try and score in
- Ball is served from the target / server player to the conditioned attacking support player, who then looks to pass forward to one of the attacking team.
- Attacking team try and score, defending team try and stop them.
- Attacking team can always pass back to the conditioned attacking support player, who can only support behind the ball.
- If the ball goes out of play – attack is started from where the ball went out or from the target / server player to the conditioned attacking support player, who then looks to pass forward to one of the attacking team.
- If defending team win the ball, they can score by passing the ball through either of the target goals to the target player.
- Normal football rules apply. Offsides. Throw ins. Free kicks
- Attacking team to constantly create space as a team, to make the pitch as big as possible.
- At least one attacking player to play high up against the defending central pair and at least one attacking player to provide width by pulling wide.
- Always one attacking player to sit and support behind the ball, to provide a defensive balance and to provide an out ball to retain possession and switch play.
- Good decisions on when to retain possession and switch play and when to attack positively, directly and centrally.
- Quick, clever, central combination play to create and take finishing chances
Progressions and challenges
- If the defenders win the ball, they can score by passing through the target goals to the target player.
- The target player immediately passes the ball back to the to the conditioned attacking support player, who then looks to pass forward to one of the attacking team.
- Play attack v defence for agreed period of time, keep scores of goals scored by both teams.
- Rotate teams so that all players have the opportunity to attack and defend
- Bring in a second goal and play a game