27 Jul 2010
Whats involved in doing your FA Level 3 Coaching Certificate (UEFA B)
The Football Association Level 3 Course (UEFA B) is the third qualification on the Football Association coaching ladder. It is mainly geared towards more experienced football coaches. Particularly those football coaches who are coaching players aged 16+. It is a pre requisite requirement to take the course that a football coach has already gained the Football Association Level 2 coaching award.
There aren’t that many Level 3 courses run throughout the country. But the county football associations are in charge of organising and running the courses. Details of all county Football Associations can be accessed via this link http://www.thefa.com/GetIntoFootball/CountyFA/CountyContacts We would suggest you contact your local County Football Association for more details.
Below is a link to a Football Association (UEFA B) small sided game with the topic defend as a team
1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Football (UEFA B)
- Minimum Age: 17
- Course Duration: 90 hours
- Course Prerequisites: 1st4Sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Football
- Course aims and objectives: This nationally recognised qualification will provide candidates who have an ongoing involvement in the coaching of team football, with the opportunity to gain knowledge of how to effectively apply the principles of performance profiling, goal setting and designing, planning, delivering and evaluating a football coaching programme and practice.
Theory: The course will introduce a number of key aspects related to the role of a football coach in working with youth players. These are delivered via home-based study tasks and Tutor delivered workshops and include:
- Fitness assessment and planning
- An introduction to match and player analysis
- Team performance profiling and goal setting
- Management of safe and equitable coaching environments
- Psychological analysis and profiling
- Nutrition and drug awareness.
Practical: The practical elements of the course will provide the following:
- The principles of attacking: to include detailed consideration of attacking from wide and central areas, counter attacking, switching play and finishing
- The principles of defending: to include detailed consideration of defending effectively in wide/central areas, pressurising and defending when both organised and outnumbered
- Midfield play: to include support play for front players, possession in key areas and use of width
- Goalkeeping: to include support for the defensive unit, the ability to deal with crosses, maintain possession momentum and the development of shot stopping
- Set play: to include the effective organisation in defending and attacking from free kicks, corners and throw ins
In addition candidates will have the opportunity to undertake two observed practical coaching sessions with their Tutor and receive feedback based on selected criteria. This will form the basis of an opportunity to deliver 10 hours of coaching in the candidate’s work place, with their team, to apply the experience gained from the course of training.
Practical Involvement: Candidates will be encouraged to participate practically to maximise their opportunities for learning (This however will not prevent successful completion of the award).
Assessment: Assessment is via successful completion of:
1. All pre-requisites (First Aid/Safeguarding Children/FAL Laws of the Game Exam/Online course)
2. All portfolio tasks
3. The practical delivery of two planned 25 minute practical coaching sessions from the course syllabus, as follows:
A phase of play
A small sided game (8v8) or a functional practice
Re-assessment: Candidates can be reassessed within a 24 month period from registration.
Refresher: Every 3 years as specified in The FAL Level 3 CPD and Refresher Policy.
Suggested additional learning opportunities:
- FAL Online Courses: Coaching Children, Running a Club, Futsal Laws of the Game, Football Camp Coaches, Planning, Preparing and Evaluating Coaching Sessions, Disciplinary, Fitness in Football Level 1, Psychology for Football Level 1, Player and Match Analysis.
- FA Youth Coaches Course
- Goalkeeping B License Course
- Introduction to Futsal Course
- Coaching Disabled Footballers Course
- Education Modules (selection of eight)