31 Aug 2016
FA level 2 game to improve creating space
FA Level 2 game on creating space. The series on the FA level 2 on coaching creating space now moves onto how to coach creating space in a small sided game. The key coaching priority is to ensure that as soon as your team gain possession, the players quickly spread out, wide and long, to create space as a team and to make the pitch as big as possible.
COACHING FACTORS OF FA LEVEL 2 ON CREATING SPACE IN A SSG
- As soon as possession is gained, can the team create space as a team, both wide and long, to make the pitch as big as possible.
- Encourage the players to think “one step ahead” – “Not where the ball is, but where it is going to be”
- As the ball moves, the players should constantly be moving to positions related to the ball to find and create space, both for themselves and for team mates
- There should be more than one passing option of a player in space for the player on the ball.
- Players should concentrate on the timing and angle of movement to create space
- Good communication between players
- Quality of passing: To feet, space, first time passing or pass and control?
- Turning with and without the ball to create space
- Runs and movement to create space for other players
- Defensive balance or lock up when attacking