08 May 2014
Football Coaching to improve close range finishing # 3
Football Coaching to improve close range finishing # 3.
This is the third progression to the football coaching close range finishing game.
In this football coaching game all the players in both teams are numbered. The challenge is to see which team gets the first 3 numbered players to score from within inside the area and in the numbered order. It could also be that the challenge is to see what team can get all 5 players to score.
The players have to rotate so that there are always 2 players inside the area and three outside, so they will have to communicate and organise after every shot to make sure that the players they need to score are in the penalty are and able to do so. This will also really help the players with their communication, team and game related organisational skills, as well as their shooting and finishing skills.
Watch the video to see the structure of the practice and progressions:
The set up for the practice is:
- Area 35 – 40 yards in length, or to suit the age and ability of the players
- 15 – 20 yards wide
- Full sized goal in the middle, with a goalkeeper, who plays both ways.
- 2 x fielders at both ends, these are like midfield players and field any footballs that come their way and pass quickly back into the strikers
- 2 x strikers who play in each penalty area and look to be positive and score every time the ball is fed into them
- Spare GK, who rotates with the GK in the goal. Good supply of footballs
- Ball is thrown from the spare GK to either of the fielders, this starts the game any time the ball goes out, this is the restart.
- Fielders move to get the ball and pass the ball into the strikers on their side of the goal.
- Strikers react to create space and receive the pass.
- Strikers look to be positive and realistic and via individual skill, turn and shoot, or quick, clever combination play, look to get a quick accurate shot onto the target.
- The second striker who doesn’t shoot follows up for rebounds.
- If GK saves the ball, they throw the ball quickly to the fielders at the opposite end to the shot and practice is repeated
- If ball rebounds from GK, second striker looks to score from the rebound.
- If goal is scored, ball is allowed to run through to the fielders at the opposite end and practice is repeated in the is wave like, end to end fashion.
- Ball goes out of play, second GK throws to the fielders and repeat practice