19 Dec 2015
UEFA B Practice to coach forwards to play in the hole
This is a phase of play practice to work on attack v defence with a focus on coaching forwards to play in the hole between the defence and midfield.
10 COACHING TIPS TO HELP PLAYERS CREATE AND EXPLOIT THE HOLE POSITION
- In possession, attacking team create space – make the pitch big, long and wide and stretch the defence
- Player on the ball to be positive and look to pass forward if possible – timed, accurate and weighted pass
- Strikers – one goes long to push the defenders back and create space
- Strikers – one times their movement to drop into the hole between the lines
- Hole player to try and receive the pass with an open body position and have good spatial awareness of what is around them
- Decision on receiving the ball – can the striker turn or do they need to protect the ball and set the ball back to support players and recycle the attack?
- Can they be positive and turn to create and take an individual shooting opportunity through shifting / dribbling and manipulating the ball
- Turn and look to pass forward to fellow striker – a through ball: or quick combination play between the two
- Turn and pass wide to create possible crossing situation
- Positive end result to the attack if possible