17 Jun 2016
Waves – Shooting and finishing game – Start
This is the first in the series of progressive waves, pass, support and finishing games
- Pass and move quickly in teams of threes to create and take finishing opportunities.
- Players pass and move in teams of threes in a wave like fashion, looking to move down the pitch quickly, to look to score.
- Progress to time both teams to see which team can score quickest, after all the players have touched the ball at least once.
Pass and Support
- Early support play for the player on the ball. Good communication and angle and distance of support
- Support where the player on the ball can easily see them
- Stand still and support or movement to support for the ball to be passed into space
- Using body language and verbal communication to connect with the player on the ball
- Readjustment of support position – as the ball moves or is controlled in a different direction support player will need to adjust to support in a different way
- Forward runs for forward passes
- Recognition of player making the run of where the space is to run into
- Timing and angle of forward run
- Communication from forward runner to passer, of when and where they want the pass
- Quality of the ball from the passer – accuracy, timing and weight of pass
- Positive attitude and decision – can the player shoot quickly
- Head up to assess goalkeepers position and distance / angle to goal
- Decision of first time shot or control and shoot
- Technique of shot – side foot, power, volley, first time or control and shot
- Clever play, turning and shooting, dribble and shoot
- Hit the target – accuracy over power when close to goal. Be calm and composed
- Follow up for rebounds